Built in the mid-1920’s the Queen is often photographed landmark of downtown Bryan, Texas. In 1926, Abraham Schulman and his son purchased the Queen and the Dixie Theaters in downtown Bryan. In 1928 they converted the old Bryan City Hall into the Palace. The Queen was rebuilt in 1939 and became the first air conditioned theater west of the Mississippi. The Schulman theaters operated until 1985 and when the Palace closed. The 1980s became the era of multiplex which led to the downfall of many historic single screen theaters.