My grandma made the best German Chocolate Cake. It was always may one of my favorite. No birthday or family gathering would be complete without it.
German Chocolate Cake
- 1 Pkg German’s Sweet Chocolate
- ½ C boiling water
- 1 C butter
- 2 C sugar
- 4 egg yolks, unbeaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ½ C cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Melt chocolate in ½ C of boiling water. Cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each. Add vanilla and melted chocolate and melt mix until blended.
- Sift flour with soda and salt.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into three 8 or 9 inch round pans lined on bottom with paper. Bake at 340 degrees for 35-40 minutes for 8 inch layers or 30-35 minutes for 9 inch layers or until cake springs back with lightly pressed.
- This is a delicate cake and will have a flat contour and a slightly sugary top crust which tends to crack.
- Frost top and between layers with coconut-pecan filling and frosting.
- 1 C evaporated milk
- 1 C sugar
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- ½ C butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/12 C coconut
- 1 C chopped pecans
- Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter or margarine and vanilla in a sauce pan. Cover over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add coconut and pecans. Beat until cool and of spreading consistency. Makes 2 ½ cups or enough to cover tops of three 8 or 9 inch layers.
4 thoughts on “Grandma’s German Chocolate Cake”
One of my favorite desserts!
It is amazing