Rice Krispy treats are one of my go to when I need quick and easy dessert to take to social events. Of course, I rarely make a plane batch. The ones in the pictures have M&Ms. I like how with few modifications it is easy to come with a new twists to an old favorite.
I made two simple modifications to the original recipe that keep the treats from becoming dry. I’ve increased the butter to 1/2 cup and the marshmallows to 1 1/2 bags of the mini marshmallows.
Freeze the M&Ms or other candy from melting when it added to the cereal mixture.
M&M Rice Krispy Treats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 packages (10 oz., about 40) mini Marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispy Treats
- M&Ms — It takes about 1/2 to 3/4s a big bag of M&Ms
- Coat a 13x9x2 inch pan with cooking spray or butter.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add about 1/2 of the cereal. Stir until well coated. Next add about 1/2 of the M&Ms. Add the rest of the cereal and stir until well mixed. Next add more M&Ms if needed or if you want more.
- Using wax paper evenly press mixture into pan. Top with more m&Ms if desired.