- 16-20 corn tortillas
- Enchilada sauce canned or homemade (see below)
- 16 oz of cheese, I use a mixture of cheddar, jack, queso blanco, queso fresco or cream cheese
- 1/4 to 1 cup chicken broth
- 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 2-3 TBS taco sauce
- 1/2 to 1 TBS cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder for smoky flavor. For smoky flavor without heat use paprika.
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray or butter. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat chicken broth in a small skillet or medium sauce pan.
- Heat or make enchilada sauce. To make sauce heat tomatoes and spices. Stir until well mix. Heat until warm.
- Crumble cheese into a small bowl.
- Set up an assembly line with tortillas, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, cheese and baking dish.
- Start with dipping in broth until warmed, next dip in sauce, add a scoop of cheese mixture. I use a 1/4 cup scoop for this. Place in baking dish roll side down. Pack enchiladas into pan as tightly as possible.
- Top with remaining sauce and extra cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.