One of my go to recipes for a quick easy side that use what’s in the fridge. It is a great way to use up leftover potatoes – mashed, baked, roasted or whatever form is in the fridge. Measurements are rough estimates and can be adapted to what you have or how much you want to make.
- 1-2 baked potatoes or equivalent combination of mashed or roasted potatoes.
- 3-4 slices of bacon crumbled or ham if you prefer
- 2-3 cloves of garlic — minced, diced or smashed
- 1/2 – 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 onion chopped
- chives or green onions, chopped enough to cover top
- 1/2 cup or more of cheese — we like cheddar or jack but use what you like
- 1/2 TBS butter
- Enough Milk, Chicken broth or half & half to moisten smashed potatoes
- Seasonings: salt, pepper or steak seasoning
- Heat potatoes. If you are in a hurry warm the potatoes in the microwave. I’ve also heated them in a sauce pan with enough milk or chicken broth to soften them. If you are warming them up on the stove stop combine steps 1 & 2.
- Next put potatoes in a sauce pan over medium heat. Smash potatoes and add butter. After the butter has melted add enough milk and/or chicken broth to make the potatoes semi-smooth. Add 1/2 of the sour cream, cheese and bacon (or ham). Next add the garlic, onions and seasoning. Once the cheese starts to melt remove from heat and put in a serving dish. Top with remaining green onions, sour cream, cheese and topping and serve