The Big Guy loves carrots. One of his favorite sides is either maple, brown sugar or honey glazed carrots. This is quite easy.
- carrots – fresh, frozen, canned, whatever you have on hand
- 1-2 TBS of honey, maple or brown sugar
- 1 – 1TBS of butter
- lemon juice — from 1/4 of lemon. The recipe I adapted this from used orange juice. Due to allergies I substituted lemon for orange.
- parsley or mint (optional)
- Cook carrots.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter. Next add honey, maple and or brown sugar. Stir until well mixed. Add enough water make glaze cover bottom of pan. Add lemon juice. Stir.
- If desired toss a handful of mint or parsley on carrots.
- Pour glaze on carrots.
Combined two of my favorites bacon and asparagus. Even the Big Guy, who doesn’t like asparagus, liked this. Just about anything is better either wrapped in bacon or dipped in chocolate.
- 1 lb of fresh asparagus
- 1/2 lb to pound of bacon
- disposable aluminum pan with holes poked in the bottom or a grill basket/pan
- hard wood for cooking – I’ve tried a hickory, mesquite and a mixture of oak/mesquite.
- Get fire going on grill and allow fire to burn down some.
- Wash asparagus. Arrange asparagus in bunches of 4-6 pieces and wrap with bacon. You can use skewers or toothpicks to hold them together. However I find they stay together pretty well if you put the open side of the bacon on the bottom. Arrange in pan or grill basket. I like to slightly oil the pan to keep it from sticking.
- Grill from 5-7 minutes. Check for doneness and flip over. Grill for another 3-5 minutes.
One of my go to recipes for a quick easy side that use what’s in the fridge. It is a great way to use up leftover potatoes – mashed, baked, roasted or whatever form is in the fridge. Measurements are rough estimates and can be adapted to what you have or how much you want to make.
- 1-2 baked potatoes or equivalent combination of mashed or roasted potatoes.
- 3-4 slices of bacon crumbled or ham if you prefer
- 2-3 cloves of garlic — minced, diced or smashed
- 1/2 – 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 onion chopped
- chives or green onions, chopped enough to cover top
- 1/2 cup or more of cheese — we like cheddar or jack but use what you like
- 1/2 TBS butter
- Enough Milk, Chicken broth or half & half to moisten smashed potatoes
- Seasonings: salt, pepper or steak seasoning
- Heat potatoes. If you are in a hurry warm the potatoes in the microwave. I’ve also heated them in a sauce pan with enough milk or chicken broth to soften them. If you are warming them up on the stove stop combine steps 1 & 2.
- Next put potatoes in a sauce pan over medium heat. Smash potatoes and add butter. After the butter has melted add enough milk and/or chicken broth to make the potatoes semi-smooth. Add 1/2 of the sour cream, cheese and bacon (or ham). Next add the garlic, onions and seasoning. Once the cheese starts to melt remove from heat and put in a serving dish. Top with remaining green onions, sour cream, cheese and topping and serve
New recipe for the week. Sorry I didn’t get a good picture.
- Chicken tender or chicken fillets
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 T cumin
- 3 T sesame seeds
- 1/4 flour
- 2 cups rice
- Chicken broth
- 1 small can coconut milk
- 1 egg — beaten
- 1 bag stir fry mix veggies
- 1 small onion — chopped
- 4 cloves garlic — chopped
- olive oil
- 2 handfuls peanuts
- Bring about 2 – 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth to a boil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to pan to cover bottom of pan.
- In a shallow bowl mix bread crumbs sesame seeds, cumin. In another bowl mix flour, salt and pepper. In a third small bowl beat egg slightly. Add the liquid part of one small can of coconut milk.
- Dip bread crumbs first in flour mix, then egg-milk mixture, and finally the bread crumb.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook until brown. Flip and cook the other side.
- Add rice to broth and cook over medium heat until done. When most of the liquid is gone add the coconut milk to the rice. When rice is cooked remove from heat and keep covered.
- Heat veggies according to package.
- When chicken is done remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic and onion to pan. When onions are translucent added remaining chicken broth to pan. Return chicken to pan and heat for about 4 minutes.
- Put rice in a big pan. Add veggies on top. Top with chicken mixture.