March 11, 2013 by TheDeeZone
A friend requested my mom’s potato recipe. Actually, it came from a church cookbook. I’ve included the original at the top followed by my allergy friendly version.
ORIGINAL COMPANY POTATOES
- 9 Medium potatoes, boiled in jackets, cooled and grated
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pt sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
- Heat 1/2 cup butter with sup and blend in onion, cheese and sour cream.
- Stir in potatoes and pour into a buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with corn flakes and pour 1/4 cup melted butter on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Allergy issues make it difficult to use the canned cream of whatever soups. So I have adapted recipe. Also measurements are very flexible.
- 1 medium to large bag of frozen hash browns
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 2 cups mixture of sour cream and plain yogurt. (Usually use more yogurt than sour cream)
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 small onion chopped
- black pepper
- sea salt
- chopped bacon, optional
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute onions and garlic.
- Once onions are translucent add cheese, yogurt/sour cream mixture and chicken broth (add enough to thin out). Stir until melted.
- Add hash browns and stirring until well coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Top with cheddar. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove and top with chives and chopped bacon.