This may not be authentic it but is my version and allergy friendly. Well at least to my allergies. I adapted the basic cake recipe from Cooking Light. I usually make the cake a day or 2 in advance and allow the milk to soak in overnight. About 2 hours before serving I add the frosting and toppings.
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can coconut milk or 2 cups of other milk
Mix the milks together in a bowl or jar. I use a mason jar and shake the mixture well.
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups milk mixture
- 1/2 cup cherry fat-free yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 1 9×10 cake pan with cooking spray.
- Spoon sifted flour into dry measuring cups. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda with a whisk.
- Combine sugar, butter, and oil in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.s
- In another bowl combine milk and yogurt.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter/sugar mix.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25 -30 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Poke holes in cake and pour remaining milk mixture over cake. Allow to soak in for at least 2 hrs. I usually let it soak over night.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs of vanilla
- coconut (toasted if you like)
- maraschino cherries
- Mix whipping cream and sugar until stiff. Spread over cooled cake
- Top with coconut and cherries.